Monday, June 13, 2011

The London Academy of Bartenders*

12 Old Compton Street, Soho, London, W1D 4TQ 0207 437 7820



Upon entering this place it just looks like another run-of-the-mill bar that serves watery cocktails while customers yell into each others ears in an attempt at conversation.

BUT....

It's really not one of those places. Look a little closer. Well really, all you have to do is see the menu to notice that this bar is far from average. And once you see the concoctions that the bartenders make, you're sold.

Simon and I sat at the bar for literally hours this past Saturday night. We tasted everything possible. From Tiramisu, to Red Hot Chilli Pepper to Pickle ma Ginger Cocktails -- one of my favorites, the Patatina, has balsamic vinegar in it. The fruit is fresh, and every cocktail is made like a piece of art by bartenders who don't stop for a second to look at a recipe (and there's nowhere that they'd rather be!**) Our bartender was Italian, hailing from Naples, and gave us bits of drinks when he over-made the recipe (which was once the entire night!) He enjoyed engaging in conversation, without even blinking an eye while we both watched in awe at the pretty fruit arrangements, or cinnamon designs on the tops of different drinks. He was the performer, we were the spectators, and both parties enjoyed it immensely. I did see him slip an egg yoke into a drink one time...but I didn't dare ask.

A scanned copy of the entire menu is available on their website. But I'd hardly be able to recreate any of their drinks just from a list of ingredients! TimeOut London calls it "The Best Bar on Earth." It may very well be. Only problem is, I probably won't bother with another badly-made cocktail in my life. If you're going to drink, do it right.

For more information, click here

PS, my first visit actually happened a few weeks ago, when my "Wellesley in London" group of friends took an outing together. Our night was lovely. I would have written weeks ago, but the moment I saw the menu, I knew Simon would love it and kept it as a secret surprise. The cats out of the bag now, so go get yourself a drink!


*Formerly known as Lab

**Lyrics from the Piano Man by Billy Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment